Sunday, January 2, 2011

The time has come

41 more hours till I board a plane in Louisville, KY and fly all the way to Aix-en-Provence, France.  (but I'm not counting)  This experience has been a long time coming and it is finally here.  For those of you who are following my blog, but maybe don't know the details, I'll quickly catch everyone up to speed.  I have been accepted by both Indiana University and the Provence University to study in southern France for the next 5 months.  All my classes will be taught in French, I will be living in an apartment with a very good friend of mine, Cathy Chung or as I like to call her catchung (long story), and I will be eating, breathing, and... taking in the French culture and way of life.  For those of you who are not geography experts and unfamiliar with the location of Aix I have included a map pointing out the city I will be living in.  Don't feel bad I had to look it up on a map too.  (The two red dots indicate Paris and Aix-en-Provence)
This has been a long (and stressful) process to get to this point and the funny thing is I haven't even left the country yet.  I would like to give a couple shout outs to family and friends that have helped me along the way.  First, my dear chauffer, Sarah Travis, who took me out for coffee to calm my nerves and then drove me to my interview.  Second, to Cathy, for agreeing to live with me in rather small spaces for the next 5 months.  Poor thing doesn't know what she's getting herself into.  Third, the "piss-poor" advising staff at IU for being a royal pain in not only my ass but every other person that had to come into contact with you.  You have taught me wisely (or not so wisely) how not to treat students and parents who are experiencing international travel and studying for the first time.  I thank you for your lack of support and effort because if it wasn't for you I wouldn't have pushed myself to learn the ins and outs of this process that you are being paid to "help" all of us with;  you've really made me grow up and I thank you (not!).  Fourth, I'd like to thank my Dad for taking off work and driving me all the way to Chicago, walking around in a blizzard just for deep dish pizza, and then circling Michigan Ave. for hours so I could get my studdent visa.  Literally if it wasn't for you I would not be going.  Lastly, I'd like to thank my mother, my sweet loving mother, who listened to me cry with joy the moment I found out I was accepted in to the program, and then cry again when I was frusterated with this process, and finally cry the moment I'd have to leave her for a couple of weeks knowing she'd worry like crazy till the next time I'd see her.  This has been a hard process on the both of us but sometimes I think more so on her.  So mom thank you for listening and giving me support and advice when I needed it the most, and for all your hard work and strength you have given me I think you deserve to fly out to France and spend a week with me.  Oh what luck that was your 50th birthday present!!
I can't go without mentioning my other dear friends and family, because without your silent prayers and keeping me in your thoughts who knows where I'd end up.  Thanks Grandma for your direct line with God and keeping me in your prayers.  Thanks Natalie and Alyssa and Sam and Emily and my Bloomington family to keep pushing me through.  Thank you to Chelsie and Danielle and Jamie and Ashley for the support system back home.  Thank you to the rest of my friends and family I didn't mention by name, you are appreciated for all you do.
Ok so now that I am off my Oscar podium and can conclude this Grammy winning speech... My coffin (extra large suitcase) and other suitcase equal to the size of a four year old child are packed all I need now is to get on that plane and fly far far away...
Until next time my faithful followers,
See ya in FRANCE!!